Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sooooo, now what?


Classes are done.  There are only two and a half weeks left of my final externship.  The national exam has been passed.  So, now what?

PAAAARRRRRTY!!!!

Yes, I am sure there will be some celebrating, and one of my biggest desires is to sit at home for two days in my pajamas with nothing to do.  Given that we have just moved into a new home, and we have two teenage kids, it is unlikely that I will have the freedom to do nothing, but a girl can dream!  I am also excited that I can actually read for pleasure again! I love to read, and I have not had the time to read anything other than textbooks and research articles for almost 6 years.  I have a stack of books that I have been looking at wistfully and thinking “someday”.  Well, someday has finally come!

Graduating also means that I can get out there and do what I have been trained to do, and be compensated for it.  Money is not the main motivator for me, though.  I want to work where I can actually make a difference and feel valued.   Exactly where I want to go with this profession is not clear to me yet.  So many facets of the field are attractive to me, and I am thrilled that I have chosen a profession that allows me to change, and grow, and continue to learn. 

Because I cannot relocate at this time, I may need to take employment where I can get it, but I am going to hold out for the right position for as long as possible.  I am a new graduate, and let’s face it, I still have a LOT to learn.  I want to complete my clinical fellowship year in a supportive environment and don’t want to be thrown to the wolves to figure it out.  Rest assured that I will be interviewing prospective employers as much as they will be interviewing me.

As for the future? Who knows.  I still need some time and more experience to figure it out.  My clinical externships have shown me much about what I like, and more importantly, what I don’t like, but there is still so much out there to explore.  One thing is certain, I have found a profession that warms my heart, challenges my intellect, and feeds my soul.  My bag is packed, and I am so ready to begin this new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis