Friday, June 14, 2013

Work and Religion

This is one of the topics we were asked to explore for Professional Issues class this week:
 
Early on in the history of time, health care and religion interacted.  Think of the health care systems in your community.  Saint Somebody hospital or the Jewish Medical Center are all over our country. Still, we’re not always comfortable with that topic in our profession. Why do you think that is?  What is the role is spirituality in our profession, especially in the context of difficult situations? How can an SLP practice his or her own faith during the delivery of services? How do you think you will respond (or did respond)  when your client brings up his or her faith?

Religion is not a topic I am typically comfortable talking about with many, and I have always followed a personal rule to not discuss religion or politics in the workplace.  The reason for this is not because I am ashamed of my beliefs, but I am fearful of being judged based on a religious label and not for the person I strive to be.  Let's face it, stereotypes and prejudices exist, and we are all guilty of making assumptions or having preconceived notions about someone based on a label that is assigned to them.  Faith is a very personal experience, and people can have very strong opinions about their beliefs or the beliefs of others.

Faith is often given more consideration when people are facing serious and difficult situations.  Finding a connection with something bigger than us often becomes more critical when medical issues are present that cause one to question their own or a loved one's mortality.  I am currently completing an externship at an inpatient rehabilitation hospital, and several patients have asked me to pray for them or shared their stories of faith with me.  This has not been a problem or an uncomfortable experience for me, so far.  I just listen to their stories with an empathetic ear and without judgment.  I tell them I will pray for them.....and I do. 

 The ASHA Code of Ethics does not conflict with how I choose to live and how I am expected to conduct myself professionally.  The way I live my life is guided by my spiritual beliefs, and I apply those same principles to the work I do.  These principles of honesty, integrity, compassion, open-mindedness, and thankfulness can be quietly integrated into the work I do, and my faith is quietly present with me always.  My beliefs don't need to be discussed, announced, or worn.  They just are, and I hope that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis